This guide will explain the step by step process of connecting to the CAES VPN provided by the Computing Resources Unit on your CAES Dean's Office managed computer.
Some resources are only available under certain circumstances, like working from a computer connected to the campus network. While these requirements are not as common as they have been in the past, they do still exist.
As such, any individual that can login to a computer managed by the Computing Resources Unit and has been issued a Windows or macOS laptop can request access to the CAES VPN service provided by the Computing Resources Unit. In most cases, this CAES VPN service will allow you to work remotely using your managed laptop as if you were sitting in your office connected to the wired network.
With the introduction of many cloud based resources, the only use cases for the CAES VPN are:
- Accessing software that is only accessible while connected to a campus network
- Accessing files shared from a Computing Resources Unit managed fileserver
To request access to the CAES VPN service, create a Helpdesk ticket.
Connecting to the CAES VPN from a Windows Computer:
- Log into the computer with your UC Davis Computing Account
- In the lower-right corder (by the clock), click on the network icon
- If you are connected to a wireless network, this icon will be a series of stacked arches and indicate the wireless signal strenth.
- If you are connected to a wired network, this icon will look like a small computer monitor
- Select the option for CAES VPN found toward the top of the list and click Connect
- Once you are connected, the word "Connected" will appear below the "CAES VPN" text
NOTE: to disconnect, follow the same steps as above but click the button labeled Disconnect after selecting the CAES VPN item.
Connecting to the CAES VPN from a macOS Computer:
- Log into the computer
- In the upper-right corder (by the clock), click on the VPN icon
- This icon looks like a small black rectangle with one (1) white line, followed by four (4) gray lines inside of it
- Click the option for Connect CAES VPN
- Once you are connected, the word "Connect" will be replaced with "Disconnect" under the VPN icon
- If you are prompted for credentials, you will login using your full @ucdavis.edu email address and password
NOTE: to disconnect, follow the same steps as above but click the option for Disconnect CAES VPN under the VPN icon.
Things to know:
- The CAES VPN service can only be used on a computer managed by the Computing Resources Unit.
- For Windows computers, in order for the CAES VPN to appear on your machine, you must first login to the computer while connected to the wired network. If you are unable to connect to the wired network before needing access to the CAES VPN service, please create a Helpdesk ticket for further assistance.
- For macOS computers, the CAES VPN connection must be manually created by the Computing Resources Unit. To have this done, please create a Helpdesk ticket.
- In order to connect to the CAES VPN service, the computer you are connecting from must have an active internet connection.