This guide will explain the step by step process of connecting from home with remote desktop.
The College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences Dean's Office provides access to a Remote Desktop connection for all units, centers, and departments supported by the Computing Resources Unit. The Remote Desktop service can be accessed from any internet connected computer, including computers at home.
NOTE: For MacOS, you must first download and install the Microsoft Remote Deskop app from the Mac App Store.
To connect to the Remote Desktop service:
- From any internet connected computer, go to access.caes.ucdavis.edu
- Login with your UC Davis email address and password
- Click on the connection you want to use (example: "CAESDO Remote Desktop"), which will download the connection shortcut to your computer (via a .rdp file)
- Run the downloaded file to start the connection
- NOTE: You may be prompted to enter your email address and password again
- The Remote Desktop session will open and you will see the desktop settings, files, and programs that are on the Remote Desktop server.
To end your Remote Desktop session:
Click Start, click your name/picture on the left side of the start menu, and click Sign out.
Things to know:
- While multiple people can access the Remote Desktop servers simultaneously, your session is only accessible to you and nobody can access it without a password. Furthermore, no one will be able to see the work you are doing remotely.
- The Remote Desktop session will lock after 15 minutes of inactivity and disconnect after 2 hours. After 24 hours of inactivity, the Remote Desktop session will fully close.
- For MacOS, you must first download and install the Microsoft Remote Deskop app from the Mac App Store.
For non-Windows and MacOS devices, please create a Helpdesk ticket for assistance with getting connected to the Remote Desktop service.